Friday, February 1, 2013

The Thai In Me - Pad Thai

I had a craving for Thai food yesterday. I haven't had it since moving to Pittsburgh - I'm not sure if I've just been lazy in finding a good place, or if I am disdainful of any place other than Bangkok Bay in Solana Beach (Green Curry = Amazing).  But since Solana Beach is now :( thousands of miles away from me, I figured I was gonna have to figure something out soon.  Pad Thai seemed like one of the easier Thai dishes to make, and is certainly one of my favorites.  Having never made it before, I checked out a few recipes online and ran into a few issues: 1.) Most recipes seem to call for fish sauce; 2.) Most recipes seem to call for tamarind, and I have no clue what that is; and 3.) Most recipes seem to be either pretty complicated and long, or super short and don't come out as real Pad Thai. I really wanted to compromise on all these things, and I was surprised to find that I was able to pull it off pretty damn well.  I found my inner Thai as follows:



1 lb. Asian Rice Noodles
1 block Firm Tofu
1 medium Yellow Onion
4 cloves Garlic
1/2 Tbs. minced, Fresh Ginger (I actually used the prepared ginger paste from a tube, since fresh ginger in Pittsburgh is apparently ridiculously expensive - DUMB)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Mung Bean Sprouts
4 Green Onions
1/4 cup chopped Peanuts
Chopped fresh Cilantro, to taste

Sauce:
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Peanut Butter
2 Tbs. Sriracha or other hot sauce (use more if you like it spicy)
1/2 cup Lime Juice
meager 1/4 cup White Sugar

Press the tofu for about 30 minutes (I do this by wrapping the whole block in paper towels, leaving it in my kitchen sink and piling a bunch of plates on top of it) to get the water out of it. Once pressed, cut into cubes and spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees, flipping the cubes over a couple times, for about 30-45 minutes, or until each side is lightly browned and crusted.
While the tofu is in the oven, whisk together all the Sauce ingredients in a bowl and set it aside.
Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions, rinse, and drain.
Slice the yellow onion.  In a wok or large skillet, saute the oinion, garlic, tofu, and ginger with a small amount of olive oil (or sesame oil, if you have that sort of thing) for a few minutes until the onions are soft.  Make a space in the bottom of the wok and pour in the beaten eggs. Scramble them and then mix them in with everything else. Add in the cooked rice noodles and pour the sauce over everything, mixing well.  Keep over heat for a few minutes so that the noodles are warmed and the sauce begins to thicken.
Remove from heat, and mix in the bean sprouts.  Plate the Pad Thai, and top with the chopped green onion, peanuts, and cilantro to taste.



This was so easy, and really, REALLY good.  I was pretty proud of myself, to be honest.  I mixed up a quick Thai Cucumber Salad to go with this - I like the balance of the heat from the noodles and the coolness of the cucumbers.
Enjoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment