Friday, March 1, 2013

Bliss: A Get Away Weekend and New Favorite

Kevin and I decided to take a weekend and run away from jobs, chores, phones, and everything else last weekend.  We ran to Bedford Springs Resort, where I completely fell in love with the good life.  I got a huge kick out of asking for random things to be sent to our room, including champagne flutes and robes.  We went on a long hike Saturday morning, and spent the rest of our time napping, playing checkers by the fire, and sitting by (or in) the gorgeous pool they have (see below).




I had done my research and found a farm-to-table restaurant that I was excited to try out for dinner. I had reason to be excited.  Horn O Plenty is my new favorite restaurant, at least on the East coast. 



It was a BYOB, so Kevin and I took a bottle of wine and walked in to what looked like a two-story log cabin. We were told we could sit anywhere, so we cosied up in a booth near the large stone fireplace.  The restaurant is one open room, and has a somewhat rustic, natural feel to it.  All the tables and chairs were simple wood, there was the stone fireplace and a stone wall, and large wooden beams overhead.  The menus, which change daily according to the produce season and what is available from local farms, are on tablets, which we were able to scroll through and look at every mouth-watering dish.  While it is definitely a slow-kitchen, I enjoyed the wait before our food arrived.  I watched who we were later told was the owner cook our food in the kitchen, made to order.  A man and 2 boys came in, their arms filled with boxes of fresh eggs and dropped them off in the kitchen. It was all so pleasant and cozy, so I ordered a vegan Black Bean and Pumpkin Stew, and a Grilled Cheese.

The cheese was made at a local dairy, and was the perfect melty-ness, and the stew, with chunks of pumpkin was incredibly flavorful. So.Good.  Kevin ordered a burger, beef from a local farm, with beets and feta, and homemade mustard. He said it was fantastic.  He also went to their salad bar, which, while small, boasts an array of warm dishes in addition to the fresh veggies and greens.  He filled his plate with dark molasses baked beans, dill potato salad, a root vegetable concoction that was delicious (and which I helped him eat), and more.  It was delicious.  Kevin and I left feeling full but not gluttonous, and went back to the hotel to take a nap. 
The next morning, we decided to go back for Sunday brunch.  I have never in my life had polenta taste like it did in my Polenta and Poached Egg with Kale Pesto.

It was so creamy, and the kale pesto was amazing, adding just the right kick to my tastebuds. So much so that I forgot to take a picture until it was gone.  Kevin ordered a Cornbread Stack, which was homemade cornbread stacked with cheese, eggs, and either bacon or sausage. He asked if they would be willing to put a side of the baked beans he'd had the day before on there too, and was told yes, and that the owner liked the idea so much, she was going to start doing it regularly.


We left the restaurant again, full and feeling good about the meal, helping a restaurant such as this one survive, and yearning to open our own. 
Eating at places like Horn O Plenty makes me want my own restaurant. It makes me feel like I could actually do it. Who knows? Maybe someday The Foreign Noodle will happen.  Until then, I'll just keep collecting recipes and enjoying food.

No comments:

Post a Comment