Thursday, September 26, 2013

Future Pasta (i.e. My Favorite Meal of All Time)

I do not know how Future Pasta got its name - I only know that it was from a conversation between an old friend and myself years ago - but basically, it's a caprese pasta and it is my favorite.meal.ever.
This pasta is simple, filling, and delicious.  It is my favorite meal when paired with roasted asparagus and some garlic bread (hello, carbs!).  I can eat an entire bowl of this and will go back for seconds and many times, thirds.  I have not quite figured out what makes this so addictive to me, but it happens, every time.  Please don't judge.



Future Pasta:
1 lb. penne or other short pasta
1 12 oz. container cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (I used a mix of grape tomatoes from our CSA box)
2 cups fresh mozzarella (I like using the pearl sized ones so I don't have to cut it up)
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped*
zest and juice of one lemon
salt & pepper to taste

Then mix it all up.  Technically, I like to make a dressing of sorts with the olive oil, balsamic, lemon, and salt/pepper first, then add the tomatoes and mozzarella.

I let it all marinate together until my pasta is cooked, drained, and rinsed, then add that in and mix it up.  This can be eaten at any temperature and will be delicious no matter what.

*Tip: When chopping fresh basil, I have found that the easiest technique for me is the following:

Wash and pat dry the basil leaves.

Stack the leaves on top of each other, and roll them to make a sort of basil "tube".

Slice the basil tube into small strips, then slice the other way.

This enables you to get uniform pieces, and only have to chop once, rather than each leaf at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment