Monday, October 14, 2013

A Cozy Soup for a Cozy Day - Dutch Onion Potato Soup

I'm not actually a huge "soup person", but there are certain soups and certain recipes that I can get behind, especially in the Fall/Winter, when I just want to curl up on my couch with a big quilt and a yummy dinner.  One of my favorites since I was a child was Dutch Onion Potato Soup.  It's warm and cheesy, and has a very distinct fall flavor to it (due in part to the beer, I assume).  I made it for Kevin the other day, and we were able to finish the entire pot in 2 days....normally I end up freezing soup, but I did not want to do that with this one because of the cheese - I wasn't sure how it would turn out frozen.  So it was a good thing that this soup hit the spot for the two of us this week and we were able to finish it off quickly. 





Dutch Onion Potato Soup

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. oil
1 1/2 - 2 c. sliced (or chopped) onion
1/4 c. flour
2 1/2 c. broth
2 c. water
1 1/2 c. (12 oz.) beer
4 c. diced potato
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. black pepper


Saute onions in butter and oil until onions are soft and golden brown, stirring often.





Sprinkle flour over onions and stir; continue cooking or 1-2 minutes.  Slowly add broth, water, and beer; stir and bring to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
This is also when, if you're me, you open another bottle of beer specifically for yourself as you cook. 


The type of beer you use is entirely up to you and your tastes.  This time I used a pumpkin beer and it turned out really well - you could taste the flavor without it being overpowering.

Add diced potatoes to boiling liquid mixture.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer 35-40 minutes, until potatoes are very tender.
Mash potatoes into broth, if desired.  Remove from heat and add cheese and pepper.  Reheat briefly to serve.  Do not boil!  
Serves 4.


Don't judge me for the horrible presentation - I forgot to take a picture of the finished soup, so this is the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Enjoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment