Monday, December 3, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The holidays are here!  This is definitely my favorite time of the year, what with all the holiday music, food and general good cheer.
Our weekend was spent getting the Christmas decorations out, putting up lights and the Christmas tree (and attending the fantastic Pittsburgh wedding recpetion that my mother-in-law held for us, but that isn't much related to this holiday post, so I'll save it for another day). Kev did a great job picking out a Christmas tree (our first married Christmas tree!), and putting up lights outside.

Kevin also asked me the other day "You'll be making Christmas cookies, right?" - all I could think was, didn't we just move near your family so you could share in your mother's insanely good holiday baking?
But, of course, I will be baking, and this wekeend started off with a few  snacks to get me in the mood. 
The first, and very easiest holiday mouth explosion that I made was Cinnamon & Sugar Pretzels, which are just that.
Take about 8 oz (maybe a little more) of pretzels, pour 1/2 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup sugar and 3 tsp. of cinnamon over them, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Super simple, and a fantastic snack to have set out in a dish for random pass-through snacking.

The second recipe I made was again, super simple, and nice to have around for the random guests that may pop up, especially this time of year.  Eggnog Pound Cake - yum!  Kevin wasn't so excited about this one at first, but I've noticed the loaf is starting to dwindle, and apparently it is super good with coffee in the morning (though I won't vouch for it being a healthy breakfast).

I got this recipe from www.MyRecipes.com, and actually followed it pretty much to a T:
  • 1 (16-oz.) package pound cake mix
  • 1 1/4 cups eggnog
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat all ingredients together at low speed with an electric mixer until blended. Increase speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes. Pour into a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).

There is much more to come in our house this month.  Tonight I have some delightful plans for Buckeyes and Pecan Pie Bars, which will be shared soon.  Happy December!!

No comments:

Post a Comment